Discover Music is an educational outreach program where Reno Phil musicians travel to Washoe County and regional elementary schools to perform assemblies tailored to the ages and specifications of each school. These are designed to give students a close-up look at symphonic music through performances, demos and fun participatory activities.
The Reno Phil offers Discover Music performances to elementary schools (DK-5) and home-school groups at no cost to the school. Use the link below to put in a request for us to visit your school! Assemblies can be scheduled as far in advance as works for your school. Performances may also be available for middle schools, high schools, and senior communities, or as educational components of community events.
Click here to request a Discover Music assembly
2022-2023 Discover Music Ensembles
- Brass Quintet -these players bring a playful side to exploring how the instruments of the brass family produce sound.
- BrassHaus –Jonathan Bhatia, trumpet, and Natalie Brooke Higgins, horn, combine the virtuosity of classical brass with lush, new compositions to engage students in an up-close look at these two powerhouse instruments. Students will enjoy hearing familiar tunes, and connecting them with the instruments that create those soaring sounds.
- String Quartet -the string quartet excels in engaging students in exploring the composers behind the music with tie-ins to history and geography.
- Violin Duo -how can the same instrument be used in a formal symphony orchestra AND an Irish dance band?! What does math or language have to do with music?! Find out with this dynamic duo.
- Red Tango Trio -get an up-close look at violins and cello, which can be used in the symphony and in South American dance music. Learn how ethnic music like the Cuban habanera, the Argentine milonga and the Uruguayan candombe have morphed into what the tango is today.
Feedback from participating groups is vital to the ongoing assessment of our education programs. If one of our groups comes to visit you, please fill out a Discover Music evaluation form afterwards here.